Sirmione became part of Lombard and during the XII century had a own administration dependent on Verona. Under the Scaligeri's seigniory (XIII century) it was fortified by walls and equipped with an imposing castle; in XV century it became part of Venice.
Sirmione offers many artisctic and historical heritage, like the important Roman villa ruins called Caves of Catullo, the Scaligera fortress, S. Peter in Savino church (VII century) and the famous spa. The center of the town is characterized by its small streets with stone walls, able to create romantic and striking views. Sirmione stands on a peninsula (minimum broadness of 120 mt) which stretches out for about 4 km in Garda from the southern shore. In the ancient times it was used as "road station" at the basis of the peninsula and it was a famous location for holidays and for the thermal baths of nobles. Today the historical center keeps intact the ancient remains of the renowned villa of the poet Caio Valerio Catullo, lived in the first century b.C. Sirmione was inhabited by different population like Byzantine and Lombard. In 1405 Sirmione became part of the Venice Republic like the other town of Garda Bresciano.
“Ringraziamo il fotografo Antonello Perin per le splendide immagini di Sirmione”